What To Do When Your Cooktop Igniter Continuously Sparks

cooktop igniter

Dealing with a cooktop igniter that keeps sparking can be quite bothersome. Not only does the constant clicking sound grate on your nerves, but it also poses a safety risk by allowing gas to flow continuously, creating a potential hazard in your kitchen. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you tackle this issue effectively.

Step 1: Disconnect the cooktop from the power source. Since the igniter is powered electrically, unplugging it will put an end to the incessant clicking.

Step 2: Allow a 5-day waiting period. This timeframe allows any moisture that may have accumulated in the cooktop to evaporate fully.

Step 3: In the interim, your cooktop can still be used by manually igniting it with a lighter.

Step 4: After the waiting period, reconnect the cooktop. If moisture was the culprit, it should have dissipated by now, resolving the sparking issue.

Step 5: If the problem persists despite following the above steps, it’s crucial to seek professional assistance.

Understanding the Issues:

Moisture Intrusion in Igniter

Moisture can find its way into the igniter of your cooktop due to various reasons such as spills during cooking, high kitchen humidity, or excessive water usage during cleaning. This moisture buildup can disrupt the igniter’s function, leading to continuous sparking.

This issue is particularly critical with gas cooktops, where continuous sparking can coincide with a constant gas flow, posing a safety hazard.

Faulty Igniter Causes

A malfunctioning igniter can stem from different sources:

Wear and Tear: Over time, the components of the igniter may degrade, causing it to malfunction.

Contamination: Grease, food debris, or cleaning agents entering the igniter area can interfere with its operation.

Physical Damage: Accidental impacts or rough handling can damage the igniter, affecting its performance.

Electrical Problems: Wiring issues or short circuits can also lead to igniter malfunction.

In Conclusion

Persistent issues with your cooktop’s igniter despite addressing moisture concerns may indicate a faulty igniter. In such cases, you can either continue using the cooktop manually with a lighter or seek professional help for repair or replacement of the igniter. Taking prompt action ensures both your convenience and safety in the kitchen.